his portrait. Here is the portion of the letter that is
"You mean that I'm late," he replied.
"I've got some engineers coming here in less than an hour," said Mr. Flint.
"I'll be gone in less than an hour," said Hilary.
"Well," said Mr. Flint, "let's get down to hardtack. I've got to be frank with you, Vane, and tell you plainly that this political business is all at sixes and sevens."
"It isn't necessary to tell me that," said Hilary.
"To put it mildly," the president of the Northeastern continued, "it's the worst mixed-up campaign I ever knew. Here we are with the convention only two days off, and we don't know where we stand, how many delegates we've got, or whether this upstart at Leith is going to be nominated over our heads. Here's Adam Hunt with his back up, declaring he's a reformer, and all his section of the State behind him. Now if that could have been handled otherwise--"
"Who told Hunt to go in?" Hilary inquired.
"Things were different then," said Mr. Flint, vigorously. "Hunt had been promised the governorship for a long time, and when Ridout became out of the question--"
- she had come to believe, since otherwise he would have
- his hands with a groping movement The woman laughed shudderingly.
- been succinct: “Watch Mr. Brinn’s chambers, make a
- “Don’t alarm yourself unduly,” said Wessex. “I
- the ray of light from Max's lamp impinged upon the opening
- them closely shuttered. Although he recognized that he
- near-by pedestal. The death masks grinned; the Egyptian
- her hands, uttering a subdued cry of greeting that was
- their terrible ordeals in the untracked jungle to the south;
- “My big sweetheart,” she whispered, crooningly. “Don’t
- his proposed operations demanded secrecy, he recognized
- a man who thinks slowly, but moves with a rush. You can
- at our arrival, and said one to the other, “This is the
- that from start to finish the thing did not offer one single
- which communicated with the study, walked out into the
- the circumstances of his present disappearance go to prove.
- wall. He staggered down again; his remarkable physical
- you I did not care to live. I have gone into the bad lands
- Experience had taught Detective Inspector Wessex to recognize
- and, as she sobbed, slowly, slowly the fierce light faded
- and phlox that drew him to the perfumed air of the garden,
- Night and day your eyes have watched me, and I have wakened
- side of the road, and frequently pausing to listen. Advancing
- “I am not a machine,” he replied; “and I do my own
- the light upon them. They led upward. He mounted cautiously,
- there is no lady in these chambers. Secondly, I have an
- doubt your word. But Mr. Paul Harley disappeared last night.”
- table and rang up a garage with which he had an account.
- the leadership of each to men whom he believed that he
- for a moment and then replaced it in the right and not
- earned the envious admiration of the Scotland Yard man.
- slightly acquainted. No evidence of espionage could he
- Max crossed the threshold hard upon her heels. Three descending
- sentences. Darkness wrapped him about, so that no one watching
- failed to reappear, he determined to take the initiative
- “Yes. There are. Many. But let me go on. Somehow—somehow
- and the girl's mind was in such a turmoil that she had
- Indeed, only by the sound of the closing door did he know
- Never for a moment did he relax his vigilance. Observing
- Nicol Brinn glanced at his watch. “If I leave in five
- one of our party was unable anywhere to purchase either
- But whatever happens, and wherever your suspicions point,
- “I’ll answer your question,” said Wessex, and the
- “By heavens!” Wessex sprang up, his eyes brightened,
- her arms, and laughed shrilly, insanely. Then she turned
- clenched hands. “Please God she has come,” he whispered.
- “Well, sir”—again he glanced rapidly about-“I don’t
- a fearless, man, and he was subconsciously surprised to
- and the land was wooded down to the water’s edge. In
- entrance to the lane. Nothing appeared; nothing stirred.